Tuesday, April 21, 2009

talking to myself


---
"I once sat in on a hearing voices class where people were encouraged to articulate their inner dialogues, talk back, and negotiate with them. A pretty twenty-something girl had thought her co-op was compelling her to buy things she had no use for, so she couldn’t walk within 100 meters of the entrance. A Nigerian man’s voices were personified by a six-foot blond transsexual and an angry midget who would constantly argue in his head. And one old lady believed her husband worked for the Secret Service, and that they had kidnapped her and planted a chip in her brain, which made her act out their will. They all agreed the best coping mechanism was using a mobile phone. They held it to their ear when they had the urge to talk to their voices so people didn’t think they were insane."

click here for the full post from VICE


---

i use the cell phone trick all the time.

2 comments:

  1. I used the cell phone trick when I was trying to memorize a monologue for my acting class, but not until after I noticed people staring as I walked along talking to myself. The best part is that the character I was playing was crazy, so I'm sure several passersby became convinced that I was having some sort of episode.

    ReplyDelete